Musings on Spiritual Matters

by Matthew Morine

Yes, The Gospel Works

baptism-image-onlyFor year I heard about the myth of the churches of Christ, you know the myth, it always seemed like a myth.  The myth goes like this.  A preacher of the church is giving a simple lesson on the plan of salvation.  At the end of the lesson, someone comes forward, who was never there before, who was just reading their bible, and realized that the gospel teaches that you must be baptized to be saved.  The man or woman comes forward, is baptized, and states, I was just looking for a church that taught the truth on this.  And you have heard this, but after years of being in the Churches of Christ, I never saw this happen.  I started thinking this was just one of those church of Christ myths that we tell, but maybe are not totally true.  But this past Sunday, there was this lady, a nice lady, and she walked up to me after my sermon.  She started talking to me, and she told me a little about her background.  She was attending one of the big community churches in Castle Rock, but she was looking for a new church, one that teaches the truth.  It so happened that she was studying her bible, and she discovered that you have to be baptized for the remission of sins.  And while she was visiting her family in North Carolina, she had someone baptize her for the remission of her sins.  I asked her if she had any contact with a church of Christ or with someone from the churches of Christ, and she said no.  The only reason she was attending with us on Sunday was because she was searching on the internet and found our site and noticed that we believe that baptism is for the remission of sins.  So she wanted to check us out.  This is a great example of the power of the gospel.  It can be understood alike, and people can obey the simple plan of salvation.

Digg This
Reddit This
Stumble Now!
Buzz This
Vote on DZone
Bookmark this on Delicious
Kick It on DotNetKicks.com
Shout it
Bookmark this on Technorati
Post on Twitter
Google Buzz (aka. Google Reader)

Related posts:

1. My History With The Gospel Advocate
  2. Featured in the Gospel Advocate
  3. Campaign and Gospel Meeting in Pearlington, MS
  4. Bible Class on “Symbolism in the Forth Gospel”
  5. Published in May’s 2007 Gospel Advocate

About The Author

Matthew is originally from Nova Scotia, Canada. He has a beautiful wife named Charity and a precious baby named Gabrielle. He has graduated from the Brown Trail School of Preaching, Heritage Christian University with his Bachelors of Arts in Biblical Studies, Lipscomb University with his Master’s of Arts in Biblical Studies and his Master’s of Divinity at Freed-Hardeman University. He is presently working towards his Doctorate of Ministry at Harding Graduate School of Religion. His articles have appeared in the World Evangelist, the Highway to Holiness, The West Virginia Christian, The Christian Echo, The Firm Foundation, Church Growth, and the Gospel Advocate. He enjoys hockey, golf, boxing, and chess. In his spare time he enjoys reading numerous genres of books. Also, he is working on climbing all of the 14ers in Colorado. Matthew is the Pulpit Minister for the Castle Rock church of Christ.

Comments

8 Responses to “Yes, The Gospel Works”

do_action('comment_form
  1. Adam Faughn says:

Amen, brother. The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation!

Thanks for this great story and a much-needed reminder.

Keep preaching the truth, my friend!

2. Terry says:

Matthew, you may be interested in watching Francis Chan’s sermon on baptism at http://westcoastwitness.com/2010/11/23/more-from-francis-chan-on-repentance-baptism-the-holy-spirit/.

3. Sonny Owens says:

Or maybe you don’t want to listen to this sermon by Francis Chan. I admit I have only heard the first half or 3/4 of the sermon. Had to leave the office before it was finished. He almost quotes Acts 2:38. but I don’t remember him, in his quote, saying for the remission of sins. Several times he leaves it out. He does make some good points but he fails to make some points as well. Maybe you should listen and I need to listen to all of it and pay closer attention. Enjoyed your post. It has happened and will happen again.

4. Terry says:

No problem. You may listen if you want, but no obligation.

5. K. Rex Butts says:

Nonsense. Everyone of us preachers make some good points while failing to make some good points so maybe we should discourage people from listening to us before we start discouraging people from listening to others, lest they stumble because of us. Or maybe we should just trust God to bring about his will through the broken jars of clay that all of us preachers (Chan included) are.

—–

That’s a great story Matthew. It’s also a great reminder of how important a church having a good website is…God is using the internet to help his seekers find his people.

Grace and Peace,

Rex

6. Sonny Owens says:

What is the nonsense? if it was what I said then you didn’t read all of it or took what you wanted to read. I closed with, “Maybe you should listen and I need to listen to all of it and pay closer attention.” I did listen to all of it. Weighed with scripture and made a conclusion.
    He made many good points and then for some reason jumped out of the tree. You made a good point also.

7. Sonny Owens says:

Sorry I hit the submit button to soon. Chan is a part of the Neo-Pentecostal movement which is a pretty new movement. If you follow the teaching of the Neo-Pentecostal movement then take it all. There is not I choose this and I choose that for the faith (gospel, which was once delivered for all.) They teach the same as the “old” Pentecostal church regarding baptism with some adjustments. Again, Rex you made a good point too. One that I must be honest with.

8. Amber says:

Baptism is not the gospel! Obviously it is part of our RESPONSE to the gospel, but not the gospel itself.

The gospel is the fact that we are sinners in need of a perfect sacrifice for the sins we have committed. Baptism isn’t that sacrifice! Christ gave up his life and bore our iniquities freely. His blood covers our sins. I think in the church we tend to put our faith in our baptism and not in Christ’s work. That’s idolatry. Yes, baptism is part of the response in obedience but to put so much focus on “the plan and not the man” is so sad. It is very clear due to some recent research my husband conducted that many people in the church think that hear, believe, repent, confess, and be baptized is the gospel. Hear what???? We’re not hearing sermons much that emphasize our need for a Savior and that Savior isn’t ourselves! We have heard enough of the time management, better marriage, raise godly kids type sermons to make a person sick. The church desperately needs the gospel!!!!

The church today needs clearer teaching on justification based on what Christ has done. When a person says “I’ve been baptized” that doesn’t neccessarily mean that person is saved. Did they put their faith in Christ or in the water? If it is the latter, then they are as lost as they were the minute they stepped into the baptistry!